Brazilian director Walter Salles Jr. follows up the Golden Globe-nominated Behind the Sun with this filmed adaptation of Argentinian-born Cuban revolutionary Ernesto "Che" Guevara's journals of the same name. The Motorcycle Diaries stars Gael García Bernal (Y Tu Mamá También, Amores Perros) as a young, pre-revolution Guevara, a 23-year-old medical student in 1952 traveling across South America on a motorcycle with his friend Alberto Granado (Rodrigo de la Serna), who co-wrote the source material. As they embark on their journey, both young men come of age and find their individual world views broadened farther than they ever expected. The Motorcycle Diaries premiered at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 128min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/24/2004
- DVD Release Date: 02/15/2005
- Distributor(s): Focus Features
Walter Salles, Jr.
Gael García Bernal
Rodrigo de la Serna
- Themes: Political Unrest,Journey of Self-Discovery,Wanderlust
- Tone: Poignant,Stirring,Earthy,Bittersweet,Reflective,Warm
- Keywords: Latin-America,coming-of-age,medical-student,motorcycling,road-trip,self-discovery,social-injustice
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (09-24-2004)
- Language: Spanish