Plot & Details
Jim Henson's Muppets find themselves in Manhattan yearning to get a musical on Broadway in this charming film that also chides show business and its foibles. Kermit the Frog has just put together a successful variety show at Danhurst college (probably somewhere between Amherst and Dartmouth), and although he would like to mount it on Broadway so he would have a hit and be able to marry Miss Piggy, he cannot find backers. The Muppets are then forced to take jobs to support themselves, and it is while working as a waiter that Kermit meets the friendly Jennie (Juliana Donald). Jennie is the daughter of the owner of the restaurant and a source of great jealousy for Miss Piggy, who does not like competition. With stunning musical numbers involving a hundred or so Muppets and on-scene locations in New York City, the film is impressive in its merging of technical achievements and acting.
- MPAA Rating: G
- Genre(s): Comedy,Family,Musicals
- Run Time: 94min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/13/1984
- DVD Release Date: 06/05/2001
- Distributor(s): Fox
- Director(s): Frank Oz
- Starring: Jim Henson , Frank Oz , Dave Goelz , Steve Whitmire , Richard Hunt
- Themes: Amnesia,Underdogs,Fish Out of Water
- Tone: Affectionate,Easygoing,Light,Silly,Upbeat,Whimsical
- Keywords: backstage, jealousy, misfortune, musical [play], playwright, songwriter, success, talent, waiter/waitress, Muppets, behind-the-scenes, friendship, love, missing-person, strife
- Language: English