Plot & Details
A family is torn between their need to air out their dirty laundry and their habit of sweeping things under the rug in this emotional drama. Hal (Roy Scheider) and Lena (Blythe Danner) are a successful but emotionally frosty New England couple whose four adult children are coming home for Thanksgiving. Strapping Jake (Michael Vartan) brings along his new girlfriend Margaret (Hope Davis), but while her affection for him is obvious, he's not sure how he feels about her. Mia (Julianne Moore), an alternately reserved and sexually ravenous art gallery worker, also brings her current lover, the nervous and unstable Elliot (Brian Kerwin). Leigh (Laurel Holloman) seems happier and better adjusted than her siblings, but she still hasn't resolved her long-standing rivalry with Mia. And Warren (Noah Wyle), who hasn't seen his parents for three years, has a bitter grudge against his father and hasn't been able to get his former girlfriend Daphne (Arija Bareikis) out of his mind. Co-star Noah Wyle also served as associate producer.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 93min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/19/1997
- DVD Release Date: 05/09/2000
- Director(s): Bart Freundlich
- Starring: Noah Wyle , Arija Bareikis , Blythe Danner , Hope Davis , Laurel Holloman
- Themes: Coming Home,Dysfunctional Families,Haunted By the Past,Sibling Relationships,Family Gatherings,Fathers and Sons,Domestic Abuse,Mental Illness
- Tone: Wintry,Intimate,Reflective,Understated,Gloomy,Autumnal,Downbeat,Chilly,Melancholy,Somber
- Keywords: Thanksgiving, black-sheep, couple, dysfunctional, family
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (09-17-1997)
- Language: English