Plot & Details
Best buddies Abbie (Madonna), a heterosexual yoga instructor, and Robert (Rupert Everett), a gay landscaper, cope with failed relationships, the approach of middle age, and the AIDS-related death of a mutual friend by sticking together as a "family of choice." Drunk one night, they have sex, and when Abbie turns up pregnant, they decide to move in together and raise the child as decidedly unconventional co-parents. Flash forward several years and Abbie begins dating Ben (Benjamin Bratt), an investment banker. The new relationship causes tension between Abbie and Robert that ultimately leads to betrayal, courtroom confrontation, and a sudden denouement. Everett, a sometime writer of trashy comic novels such as Hello Darling, Are You Working?, reportedly supplied the film's concept and even additional dialogue, although Tom Ropelewski is the credited screenwriter. This was pop diva Madonna's first film role since the hoopla of Evita; she supplied a highly edited hit cover of Don McLean's "American Pie" and one other song for the soundtrack, which was released on her own Maverick imprint.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Drama,Comedy
- Run Time: 108min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/03/2000
- DVD Release Date: 08/29/2000
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): John Schlesinger
- Starring: Rupert Everett , Madonna , Benjamin Bratt , Michael Vartan , Josef Sommer
- Themes: Single Parents,Fathers and Sons,Mothers and Sons,Custody Battles
- Tone: Stylish,Gloomy,Confrontational,Fanciful,Melancholy,Silly,Bittersweet,Whimsical,Tearjerking,Campy
- Keywords: courtroom,custody-battle,family,father,friendship,parent,partner,relationship,unconventional
- Country of Origin: USA (03-03-2000)
- Language: English