Plot & Details
Teen rivalry in a small Southern town sets the stage for this dramatic interpretation of the novel by S.E. Hinton. Directed by Francis Ford Coppola, The Outsiders tells the story of the ongoing conflict between the Greasers and the Socs in rural Oklahoma. C. Thomas Howell stars as Ponyboy, the youngest of three orphaned boys who pal around with the local hoods known as the Greasers. When Ponyboy and his friend (Ralph Macchio) get into a deadly confrontation one night, the two go on the run from the cops, and they grow up quickly and soon realize the insignificance of their petty posturing. Matt Dillon stars as the tough-as-nails leader of their group and Patrick Swayze appears as Ponyboy's oldest brother. A host of other 1980s Brat Pack celebs fill out the cast. Dillon later appeared in another Coppola adaption of a Hinton book, Rumble Fish.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 91min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/19/1998
- DVD Release Date: 11/30/1999
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): Francis Ford Coppola
- Starring: C. Thomas Howell , Matt Dillon , Ralph Macchio , Patrick Swayze , Rob Lowe
- Themes: Kids in Trouble,Class Differences,Sibling Relationships,Street Gangs,Feuds
- Tone: Atmospheric,Compassionate,Intimate,Poignant,Sentimental,Slick,Warm
- Keywords: brother, church, class-consciousness, delinquency, drive-in, fire, friendship, gang-violence, murder, teenagers
- Language: English