Plot & Details
David Lean directed this romantic drama, scripted by Eric Ambler from a novel by H.G. Wells. Mary Justin (Ann Todd) is married to wealthy financier Howard Justin (Claude Rains), and while their marriage allows her to lead a comfortable lifestyle, there's little excitement in their relationship. While visiting Switzerland, Mary happens to run into Steve Stratton (Trevor Howard), with whom she was romantically involved years before she wed Howard. Mary finds herself falling for Steve once again, and she has to decide if she should leave her husband in hope of finding real passion or stay with a man who treats her well but whom she does not love. Leading lady Ann Todd married David Lean the same year this was released; it was the first of three films they would make together prior to their divorce in 1957.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama,Romance
- Run Time: 95min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/30/2008
- Director(s): David Lean
- Starring: Ann Todd , Claude Rains , Trevor Howard , Betty Ann Davies , Isabel Dean
- Themes: Infidelity,Love Triangles,Lovers Reunited
- Tone: Bittersweet,Intimate,Poignant,Reflective,Elegant
- Keywords: extramarital-affair,love-triangle,marriage-problems,old-flame,passion,rekindle,socialite,upper-class