Plot & Details
The videotaped TV movie The People vs. Jean Harris premiered May 7, 1981-five weeks after the outcome of Jean Harris' trial. Ellen Burstyn plays Jean, the 57-year old headmistress of a Virginia girl's school. Jean was also the longtime lover of Scarsdale Diet author Dr. Herman Tarnower. On March 10, 1980, Jean was arrested for the murder of Dr. Tarnower. She never denied her guilt, but insisted that the court hear out her reasons. Those reasons form the dramatic core of this two-part, four-hour film (its second half was aired May 8, 1981). Martin Balsam and Peter Coyote co-star as, respectively, the defense and prosecuting attorneys. It was difficult for contemporary reviewers to assess The People vs. Jean Harris, since it wasn't completed until virtually the eve of its television premiere.
- Genre(s): Crime and Mystery,Drama,Thriller
- Run Time: 147min.
- DVD Release Date: 02/12/2004
- Director(s): George Schaefer
- Starring: Ellen Burstyn , Martin Balsam , Richard Dysart , Peter Coyote , Priscilla Morrill
- Themes: Crimes of Passion
- Tone: Deliberate,Matter-of-Fact,Tense,Understated
- Keywords: doctor, lawyer, lover, murder, trial [courtroom]
- Language: English