Plot & Details
A small-time purveyor of blue movies has to defend his livelihood against thieves, authorities, and his widowed girlfriend and her family in Shohei Imamura's dark satire. The Pornographers concerns the exploits of the hapless Subu (Shoichi Ozawa), an impotent (in every sense of the word) middle-aged entrepreneur employing a small crew in the back room of a barbershop. When not staging stag films in garages and secluded fields, Subu lives with the unhinged Haru (Sumiko Sakamoto), her Oedipal, high-minded son Koichi (Masaomi Kondo), and her impudent teenage daughter Keiko (Keiko Sagawa). Though he lusts after Keiko, the girl -- all too aware of her sexual power over men -- rebuffs his advances in an increasingly cruel manner, leaving Subu to channel his frustrations into the plots of his movies. As Subu's life grows even more lurid than his profession, local yakuza, the opportunistic Koichi, and the police all struggle to get in on the action. All the while, the family's machinations take place under the watchful eye of a giant carp, whom Haru believes to be the reincarnation of her late husband.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Foreign
- Run Time: 128min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/29/1997
- DVD Release Date: 08/05/2003
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): Shohei Imamura
- Starring: Shoichi Ozawa , Sumiko Sakamoto , Masaomi Kondo , Keiko Sagowa
- Themes: Nothing Goes Right,Filmmaking,Work Ethics
- Tone: Sweeping,Irreverent,Sexual,Satirical,Wry,Biting
- Keywords: Japan, corruption, daughter, filmmaker, lust, pornography, sex, widow/widower, family, love-triangle, perversion
- Language: Japanese