Plot & Details
The beloved novel by Anthony Hope is shown here in its sixth film adaptation. In this story, Peter Sellers is Rudolf IV, the reigning monarch of the tiny nation of Ruritania. One day, while flying in a hot air balloon, a champagne cork sends him plummeting to his death. The rightful heir, who is to be crowned Rudolf V (also Peter Sellers), is kidnapped by Duke Michael (Jeremy Kemp), who is next in line for the throne. Luckily, the good guys find Syd (Peter Sellers once again), a London taxi-driver who closely resembles the kidnapped heir. While impersonating the monarch-to-be, Syd falls in love with the prince's fiancee Princess Flavia (Lynne Frederick). Neither a box-office nor a critical success, this amiable 1979 swashbuckler nonetheless features fine performances by Peter Sellers, who died in 1980.
- Genre(s): Action,Comedy
- Run Time: 108min.
- Director(s): Richard Quine
- Starring: Peter Sellers , Lynne Frederick , Lionel Jeffries , Elke Sommer , Gregory Sierra
- Themes: Assumed Identities,Twins and Lookalikes,Crowned Heads
- Tone: Light,Upbeat,Whimsical
- Keywords: impersonation, kidnapping, killing, king, kingdom, lookalike, love, masquerade, queen [royalty], rescue, romance, scheme, throne, against-all-odds, identity-switch, role-switching, swashbuckler