Plot & Details
The directorial debut from Highlander screenwriter Gregory Widen stars Christopher Walken as the angel Gabriel, who, fed up with God giving all of his attention to humans, decides to stage a sort of coup. With plans of killing all of the good angels, Gabriel decides to enlist the help of a recently deceased and inhumanly malevolent army general. In order to prevent Gabriel from obtaining the help of the vicious Korean War vet, good angel Simon (Eric Stoltz) stashes the general's soul in an unsuspecting young Native American girl named Mary (Moriah Snyder). As Gabriel gets closer to finding Mary, an ex-seminary-student-turned-cop and a school teacher, played by Elias Koteas and Virginia Madsen, team together to protect her. Meanwhile, Satan (Viggo Mortensen) enters into the mix, concerned over the implications the heavenly war may have on his dominion. Later spawning a series of sequels, The Prophecy was released in the U.K. under the title God's Army.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama,Horror
- Run Time: 96min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/26/1995
- DVD Release Date: 02/09/1999
- Director(s): Gregory Widen
- Starring: Christopher Walken , Elias Koteas , Eric Stoltz , Virginia Madsen , Moriah Snyder
- Themes: Demonic Possession
- Tone: Creepy,Eerie,Ominous,Tense
- Keywords: Native-American,angel,animosity,destruction,devil,good-vs-evil,guardian-angel,humanity,insubordination,jealousy,mankind,obliteration,rebel,resentment,revolution,search,soul,uprising,war
- Language: English