Plot & Details
Director Sam Raimi brings his trademark comic book-influenced visual panache to this post-modern Western. Sharon Stone stars as Ellen, a mysterious female gunslinger who arrives in the frontier hamlet of Redemption for a contest pitting quick-draw artists against each other. The event is the brainchild of Redemption's evil, corrupt mayor, Herod (Gene Hackman), a criminal who has taken over the town and charges a 50% tax on local businesses. The pot for Herod's deadly game has swollen, attracting numerous colorful gunfighters from around the territory. As each battle thins the ranks of players, the pasts of several participants are revealed. Ellen is seeking revenge on Herod for a heinous past injustice. The fast-talking braggart known as "The Kid" (Leonardo DiCaprio) may in fact be Herod's son. The pacifist Reverend Cort (Russell Crowe), who refuses to participate in the bloodshed, is the fastest draw in the West and a former colleague of Herod's. After several spectacular slayings, Ellen and Herod stage a final showdown, but not before he has made her an unexpected proposal. The Quick and the Dead (1995) is dedicated to veteran Western actor Woody Strode, who appears in a cameo as Redemption's coffin maker, his final performance.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Action
- Run Time: 105min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/10/1995
- DVD Release Date: 09/29/1998
- Director(s): Sam Raimi
- Starring: Sharon Stone , Gene Hackman , Russell Crowe , Leonardo DiCaprio , Tobin Bell
- Themes: Lone Wolves,Sheriffs and Outlaws,Out For Revenge
- Tone: Atmospheric,Confrontational,Enigmatic,Stylized,Tense,Quirky
- Keywords: Native-American, contest, duel, gunfighter, shoot-out, bad-guy, cowgirl, good-guy, injustice, revenge, role-switching
- Language: English