Plot & Details
Directed by actress Rosanna Arquette, this candid documentary is not only about the iconoclastic and somewhat reclusive film star Debra Winger (who does not even appear onscreen until an hour into the film), but also about the trials and tribulations of actresses in Hollywood who have reached "that certain age." In the course of her "search," Arquette interviews several of her colleagues, among them Whoopi Goldberg, Diane Lane, Teri Garr, Holly Hunter, Vanessa Redgrave, Charlotte Rampling, Meg Ryan, and Sharon Stone, all of whom have their own personal horror stories about insensitive producers and casting directors who tend to think of over-40 (and sometimes over-30) actresses as being suitable only for mother, "other woman," and "hero's girlfriend" roles -- when they bother to cast these actresses at all. The women also discuss the difficulties in balancing a successful career and a private life. Test-marketed on the film festival circuit throughout 2002, Searching for Debra Winger received its largest audience when it aired over the Showtime cable channel on August 18, 2003.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Documentary,Special Interest
- Run Time: 99min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 12/15/2002
- DVD Release Date: 03/02/2004
- Director(s): Rosanna Arquette
- Starring: Patricia Arquette , Rosanna Arquette , Emmanuelle Béart , Katrin Cartlidge , Laura Dern
- Themes: Actor's Life,Women's Friendship,Filmmaking
- Tone: Reflective,Talky,Understated
- Keywords: Hollywood, actor, aging, determination, film-industry, proving-oneself, sexual-discrimination, struggle, women's-issues
- Language: English