Plot & Details
This filmed version of Lily Tomlin's successful one-woman performance piece is sometimes classified as a "documentary." However, it is one hundred percent from the show and contains nothing but that show, so it could also be classified simply as a comedy/satire. In any case, it features classic characters limned by this versatile performer, whose uncanny sketches predated those by Whoopi Goldberg, Tracy Ullman or Sandra Bernhard -- all of whom walk in her footsteps. One of the repeating themes of the show is the avuncular advice of a delightfully addled bag lady who offers her services to help non-Earth aliens understand what they are seeing on this planet. All the skits tie together under the general theme of making fun of high-toned New Age rhetoric, which is a system of beliefs that proves inadequate to address the fundamental woes of everyday life.
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 120min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/27/1991
- DVD Release Date: 11/08/2005
- Director(s): John Bailey
- Tone: Humorous,Literate,Talky,Witty,Wry
- Keywords: comedian,concert,craziness,feminism,friendship,humanity,ideals,lady,lesbianism,life,parent,performer,rape,sensitivity,sexism,show,suicide,survivor,sympathy,talk-show,teenagers,victim,wit,woman
- Country of Origin: USA (09-27-1991)