Plot & Details
Frank Borzage directed this doomed romance starring Joan Crawford as Olivia Riley, the young bride of Henry Linden (Melvyn Douglas), an upper-crust conservative. Olivia is a show girl in a New York nightclub and when Henry brings her home to his family -- his brother David (Robert Young) and spinster sister Hannah (Fay Bainter) -- on his family's estate, Olivia is given the cold shoulder, particularly by David, who is actually attracted to Olivia himself. Olivia strikes up a friendship with David's wife Judy (Margaret Sullivan), who feels as shut out from the family as Olivia does. Olivia is attracted to David herself, and Hannah tries to drive Olivia away before things really heat up. Judy recognizes the attraction and is willing to leave David so he can pursue his romance with Olivia. David has no idea how to handle the situation, and Henry is blissfully unaware of the simmering passions between David and his wife. But Hannah brings the situation to its inevitable, and tragic, outcome buy setting fire to the estate.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 76min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/22/1997
- Distributor(s): MGM
- Director(s): Frank Borzage
- Starring: Joan Crawford , Margaret Sullavan , Robert Young , Melvyn Douglas , Fay Bainter
- Themes: Class Differences,Self-Destructive Romance,Opposites Attract
- Tone: Passionate,Somber
- Keywords: betrayal,dance [art],family,fire,love-triangle,marriage,reconciliation,romance,scheme