Plot & Details
The war in Iraq provides the backdrop for this story of personal and political chaos from British filmmaker Philip Haas. Anna (Connie Nielsen) is an American journalist covering the fighting in Iraq in 2003. American forces have removed Saddam Hussein from power, but violence remains widespread on both sides, and many of the criminals and opportunists who attached themselves to Hussein's regime are scrambling for position under the American-authorized government. Anna has friends and allies on both sides of the conflict, and is romantically involved with two men -- Dan (Damien Lewis), a CIA operative who believes the future of Iraq depends on Americans working with moderate Iraqis and rebuilding the damage done in the war (beliefs that run counter to those of his superiors), and Zaid (Mido Hamada), a photographer from Iraq who is eager to leave his battered country behind and start a new career in the West. As Anna's loyalties are torn between these two men and their differing perspectives on Iraq, a scandal polarizes the nation when two Iraqi children are found dead after having been thrown off a bridge by American soldiers. The Situation was written by Wendell Steavenson, a former journalist who was inspired to write the script by her own experiences covering the Iraq war.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Crime and Mystery
- Run Time: 106min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/02/2007
- DVD Release Date: 07/31/2007
- Distributor(s): Shadow Distribution
- Director(s): Philip Haas
- Starring: Connie Nielsen , Damian Lewis , Mido Hamada , John Stattery , Thomas McCarthy
- Themes: Life Under Occupation,Political Unrest,Members of the Press
- Tone: Forceful,Gritty,Visceral
- Keywords: CIA (Central-Intelligence-Agency),Iraq,journalism,photographer,war-correspondent
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (02-02-2007)
- Language: Arabic,English