Plot & Details
Liza Minnelli is Pookie Adams, a relentlessly kooky coed in The Sterile Cuckoo. The film's focus, however, is on Wendell Burton (likewise making his first screen appearance) as reserved young college student Jerry. He is actively pursued by the unpredictable Pookie, who helps him to survive his first months in school. Gradually, however, it is obvious that Jerry is outgrowing Pookie. Both, however, have benefited from the relationship (he has gained self-confidence, she is now able to come to grips with her unhappy home life) and their parting is a tender one. Not unlike his stars, Alan J. Pakula was making his directorial bow with The Sterile Cuckoo, which earned an Oscar nomination for its theme song "Come Saturday Morning."
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama,Romance
- Run Time: 108min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/17/2006
- Director(s): Alan J. Pakula
- Starring: Liza Minnelli , Wendell Burton , Tim McIntire , Elizabeth Harrower , Austin Green
- Themes: Opposites Attract,First Love,Sexual Awakening,College Life
- Tone: Heartwarming,Humorous,Lyrical,Nostalgic,Quirky,Sweet
- Keywords: freshman, naive, college-student, growth, love, sexual-awakening, virgin
- Language: English
|Year||Award||Category||Cast & Crew||Result|
|1969||Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences||Best Song||Fred Karlin||Nominated|
|1969||Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences||Best Song||Dory Previn||Nominated|
|1969||Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences||Best Actress||Liza Minnelli||Nominated|