Plot & Details
Although penned by the same screenwriter, David S. Ward, this sequel to The Sting (1973) is tarnished by comparisons to its predecessor. Jackie Gleason fills the shoes of Paul Newman as Harry Gondorff and Mac Davis slips into the Robert Redford role of Johnny Hooker, two con men pals whose latest "sting" involves Hooker pretending to be a down on his luck boxer. Their goal is the fixing of a prizefight, which will rook a tacky nightclub owner (Karl Malden) out of a fortune while simultaneously getting revenge on their old nemesis, Doyle Lonnegan (Oliver Reed). On their side is Veronica (Teri Garr), a seasoned scam artist, but what Gondorff and Hooker don't know is that Lonnegan is manipulating events behind the scenes. Director Jeremy Paul Kagan followed up this terribly unfunny and inferior sequel with the much better received The Journey of Natty Gann (1985), while Ward became a director of such comedies as Major League (1989) and King Ralph (1991).
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 102min.
- DVD Release Date: 08/03/2004
- Distributor(s): Universal Pictures
- Director(s): Jeremy Kagan
- Starring: Jackie Gleason , Mac Davis , Teri Garr , Karl Malden , Oliver Reed
- Themes: Boxers,Gambling,Cons and Scams
- Tone: Madcap,Witty
- Keywords: boxing, corruption, loot, con/scam, revenge, scheme, sports, sting [scam]