Plot & Details
Veteran screen star Tommy Lee Jones makes his directorial debut with the fractured tale of murder and injustice on the U.S.-Mexico border scripted by Amores Perros and 21 Grams screenwriter Guillermo Arriaga. Mike Norton (Barry Pepper) is a fresh-faced Border Patrol officer in Cibolo County, TX, whose dedication to his new job leaves his lonely wife, Lou Ann (January Jones), with little to do but spend her days at the local diner, where she strikes up a friendship with waitress Rachel (Melissa Leo). Despite her own status as a married woman, Rachel is unfulfilled in her marriage and is intimately involved with both rugged rancher Pete Perkins (Tommy Lee Jones) and local sheriff Belmont (Dwight Yoakam). Soon after Pete hires Mexican illegal Melquiades Estrada (Julio César Cedillo) as a ranch hand, the growing bond between the pair is suddenly shattered when, in a moment of panic on a routine patrol, Mike hastily guns down the innocent Melquaides. When an enraged Pete learns that Mike has unceremoniously buried the illegal immigrant in an unmarked desert grave and local authorities opt to overlook the case, he kidnaps the crooked lawman and sets out to ensure that justice is served with or without the involvement of the local police force.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 121min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 12/14/2005
- DVD Release Date: 06/06/2006
- Distributor(s): Sony Classics
- Director(s): Tommy Lee Jones
- Starring: Tommy Lee Jones , Barry Pepper , Julio Cedillo , Dwight Yoakam , January Jones
- Themes: Police Corruption,Infidelity,Cattle Ranchers,Kidnapping,Death of a Friend,Obsessive Quests,Ranchers
- Tone: Bleak,Deliberate,Gritty,Meditative,Poignant,Earthy
- Keywords: Mexico,border [geographic],murder,ranch-hand,rancher,sheriff,waiter/waitress
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (12-14-2005)
- Language: English,Spanish