Plot & Details
The true story of Hasso Herschel inspired this epic Cold War drama from Germany. Harry Melchoir (Heino Ferch) was a respected German athlete when the Berlin Wall forcibly divided the nation in 1961. Unwilling to cooperate with the East German authorities, Melchoir escaped to West Berlin, along with his friends Matthis (Sebastian Koch), Vic (Mehmet Kurtulus), and Fred (Felix Eitner). When he fled to West Germany, Melchoir was forced to leave his family behind, and he fears for the fate of his sister Lotte (Alexandra Maria Lara). Eager to free Lotte from East German rule, Melchoir strikes upon the idea of building a tunnel under the wall that will allow her to leave the country undetected; Melchoir recruits Matthis, Vic, and Fred to help him, along with a resourceful woman named Fritzi (Nicolette Krebitz). It isn't long before Melchoir and his compatriots discover that many others want to help their friends and family escape the East German regime, and the simple tunnel turns into a massive building and engineering project that's both ambitious and fraught with danger for all parties concerned. Der Tunnel was produced as a two-part miniseries for German television; an edited feature-length version was prepared for possible theatrical release outside Europe.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 160min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/29/2005
- DVD Release Date: 10/04/2005
- Distributor(s): Independent Artists
- Director(s): Roland Suso Richter
- Starring: Heino Ferch , Nicolette Krebitz , Sebastian Koch , Alexandra Maria Lara , Claudia Michelsen
- Themes: Daring Rescues,Obsessive Quests
- Tone: Atmospheric,Claustrophobic,Tense,Stirring
- Keywords: Germany, athlete, engineering, escape, project [plan], sister, tunnel, wall
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (04-29-2005)
- Language: German