Plot & Details
A remake of the classic Robert Siodmak film noir Criss Cross, Steven Soderbergh's The Underneath follows much the same plot and narrative arc of the original, but expands the possibilities of its thriller structure to also explore the complexities and insecurities at the heart of modern relationships. Peter Gallagher stars as Michael, a compulsive gambler who returns to his Texas home for the wedding of his mother (Anjanette Comer). In his absence, his ex-wife Rachel (Alison Elliott) has married Tommy (William Fichtner), a ruthless local hood. Michael and Rachel soon resume their relationship, incurring Tommy's wrath. Out of their deceptions grows a plot to heist an armored car, a crime which requires the unwitting aid of Michael's stepfather (Paul Dooley) as well as a banker (Elisabeth Shue) with whom Michael shared a brief fling.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama,Action
- Run Time: 99min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/28/1995
- DVD Release Date: 11/17/1998
- Distributor(s): Gramercy Pictures
- Director(s): Steven Soderbergh
- Starring: Peter Gallagher , Alison Elliott , William Fichtner , Adam Trese , Joe Don Baker
- Themes: Going Straight,Bank Robbery,One Last Heist,Femmes Fatales
- Tone: Stylized,Downbeat,Atmospheric,Moody
- Keywords: bank-robbery,betrayal,gambler-compulsive,gambling,investigation,investigator,love,robbery,romance
- Language: English