Plot & Details
Upon returning to his rural Georgia hometown to attend his father's funeral, a man is disturbed to discover that his childhood friend has been kept locked in the basement by his abusive brother for nearly twenty years. Roy Clemens moved away from Haralson, Georgia many years ago, but when his father dies he must return to his hometown to make funeral arrangements and tend to the family store. Later, while attempting to deliver a package, Roy discovers that his childhood friend Sammy has suffered a most cruel fate over the previous two decades. Sammy's brother Harold is a bitter, drunken tyrant who has forced his blind younger brother into servitude, rarely allowing him any real contact with the outside world. Despite the fact that Harold's girlfriend Kathleen and best friend Earl don't particularly agree with the way that Harold treats Sammy, they continue to remain loyal to the abusive older sibling due in part to the fact that he has cornered the local microbrew market. As Roy does his best to ease Sammy's suffering and provide him with hope for a brighter future, old friend begin to reconnect over promising dreams of a brighter future.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 99min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/16/2006
- DVD Release Date: 03/18/2008
- Director(s): Lisa France
- Starring: Cary Grant , Steve Harris , Nancy Carroll , Gale Harold , Randolph Scott
- Themes: Race Relations,Living With Disability,Sibling Relationships,Coming Home
- Tone: Bleak,Poignant,Tense
- Keywords: abuse, basement, blindness [physical], childhood, hometown, secrets, tyrant
- Language: English