Plot & Details
M. Night Shyamalan, the creative mind behind The Sixth Sense and Signs, wrote and directed this characteristically atmospheric thriller. The rustic village of Covington is a small town in rural Pennsylvania that is home to 60 souls. The citizens of Covington lead a quiet and peaceful life, but not without an unusual caveat -- terrible creatures lurk just outside the borders of the village, and the people of Covington have reached an agreement of sorts with the beasts, in which they are allowed to go about their business as long as they never cross the village's boundaries. However, this precarious balance is upset when a headstrong young man, Lucius Hunt (Joaquin Phoenix), decides to find out what lies outside Covington, and unwittingly invites the wrath of the creatures upon the town. The Village also stars Sigourney Weaver, William Hurt, Adrien Brody, Judy Greer, and Bryce Dallas Howard; both Kirsten Dunst and Ashton Kutcher were at one time attached to the project, but both left the cast before filming began.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Drama,Horror,Romance,Science Fiction
- Run Time: 120min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/30/2004
- DVD Release Date: 01/11/2005
- Distributor(s): Buena Vista
- Director(s): M. Night Shyamalan
- Starring: Joaquin Phoenix , Bryce Dallas Howard , Adrien Brody , William Hurt , Sigourney Weaver