Plot & Details
A winemaker is coached by a wise spirit in this fantasy set in the early 19th century, based on a novel by Elizabeth Knox. Sobran Jodeau (Jérémie Renier) is a poor but hard-working man who helps the Comte de Vully (Patrice Valota) grow grapes but hopes to someday oversee his own vineyard and make world-class wine. Sobran is also deeply in love with Celeste (Keisha Castle-Hughes), a lovely women whose family has been touched by emotional instability. One night, Sobran is visited by Xas (Gaspard Ulliel), a guardian angel who offers to help him with his dream of becoming a vintner; Xas pledges to visit Sobran one day every year to sample his wine and give him advice. However, Xas warns Sobran that like great art, great wine often is the product of sacrifice and suffering, and with the passage of time Sobran is visited by both kind and cruel fate. Sobran and Celeste are wed, and after the death of the Comte de Vully, his heir, Baroness Aurora de Valday (Vera Farmiga), puts Sobran in charge of the winery. But Sobran's skill alone doesn't produce exceptional wine, and it's not until he's touched by tragedy that he is able to produce a vintage that speaks of a full life. The Vintner's Luck received its world premiere at the 2009 Toronto International Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Fantasy
- Run Time: 126min.
- Distributor(s): Panorama Entertainment, New Zealand Film Commission
- Director(s): Niki Caro
- Starring: Jérémie Renier , Keisha Castle-Hughes , Vania Vilers , Eric Godon , Patrice Valota
- Themes: Obsessive Quests,Angels
- Tone: Bittersweet,Poignant,Wistful
- Keywords: guardian-angel,tragedy,vineyard,wine
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (05-06-2011)
- Language: English