Plot & Details
Based on the 1909 novel by F. Marion Crawford, The White Sister stars Helen Hayes as an aristocratic Italian girl who spurns the potential husband chosen by her father in favor of a handsome army lieutenant (Clark Gable). When her lover is reported killed in World War I, Hayes renounces the world to become a nun. After taking her vows, the lieutenant shows up very much alive. He implores her to give up the Order, but she refuses. The lieutenant is later injured in a bombing raid; he dies, with Hayes lovingly at his side. The White Sister was previously filmed in 1922, with Lillian Gish and Ronald Colman.
- Genre(s): Drama,Romance,War
- Run Time: 110min.
- Distributor(s): MGM
- Director(s): Victor Fleming
- Starring: Helen Hayes , Clark Gable , Louise Closser Hale , May Robson
- Themes: Message From God,Star-Crossed Lovers
- Tone: Downbeat,Passionate,Tearjerking
- Keywords: Catholicism,aristocracy,convent,conviction,decision,faith,forbidden-love,girl,grief,marriage-arranged,nun,romance,soldier