Plot & Details
Between making They Way We Were and Three Days of The Condor, Sydney Pollack directed this little-seen thriller from a script by Paul Schrader and Robert Towne. The Yakuza stars Robert Mitchum as Harry Kilmer, a former soldier who returns to Japan to help rescue the daughter of his friend George Tanner (Brian Keith). Once he arrives in the country, Kilmer discovers that the daughter has been kidnapped by the Japanese mafia, called the Yakuza. In order to battle the ruthless organized crime outfit and save the girl, Kilmer finds himself left with few options and reluctantly enlists the help of his old nemesis, Tanaka (Ken Takakura). The film was later re-titled The Brotherhood of the Yakuza and was originally shown in a 123-minute cut.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Crime and Mystery,Thriller
- Run Time: 112min.
- DVD Release Date: 01/23/2007
- Director(s): Sydney Pollack
- Starring: Robert Mitchum , Ken Takakura , Brian Keith , Herb Edelman , Richard Jordan
- Themes: Sibling Relationships,Americans Abroad,Haunted By the Past,Lovers Reunited,Yakuza
- Tone: Gritty,Forceful,Tense,Confrontational
- Keywords: daughter, samurai, veteran [military], cross-cultural-relations, culture-clash, danger, friendship, gangster, kidnapping, rescue
- Language: English