Plot & Details
In this sentimental drama, the son of a Jewish pushcart vendor abandons his roots as he builds himself a successful new life and moves his family to a posh Fifth-Avenue apartment. Though he loves his parents, he is deeply embarrassed by their humble provincial ways and introduces them as his servants when the rich parents of the woman he wants to marry drop by for a chat. His father is terribly hurt. The thoughtless son then boots his sister out because she remains faithful to her lover, an aspiring composer, in spite of his being arrested for burglary. By the story's end, the family has a tearful reconciliation as they gather around the dying patriarch.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 88min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/06/2005
- Director(s): Frank Capra
- Starring: Christian Clavier , Jean Hersholt , Julie Gayet , Lina Basquette , Eddy Mitchell
- Themes: Fathers and Sons,Sibling Relationships,Social Climbing,Rags To Riches
- Tone: Bittersweet,Sentimental
- Keywords: abandonment, composer, humiliation, parent, reconciliation, robbery, roots [origins], son, family, family-embarrassment, generation, tradition