Plot & Details
Academy Award-winning actress Helen Hunt makes her feature directorial debut with this adaptation of Elinor Lipman's best-selling novel about a Philadelphia schoolteacher (Hunt) whose long-lost birth mother (Bette Midler) reappears at the very moment her daughter is careening into a midlife crisis. Abandoned by her husband (Matthew Broderick) and still grieving the death of her adoptive mother, the emotionally fragile teacher enters into a relationship with the father of one of her students just as her biological mother, an eccentric talk-show host, appears on her doorstep attempting a reconciliation.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama,Romance
- Run Time: 100min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/25/2008
- DVD Release Date: 09/02/2008
- Distributor(s): ThinkFilm
- Director(s): Helen Hunt
- Starring: Helen Hunt , Bette Midler , Colin Firth , Matthew Broderick , Ben Shenkman
- Themes: Mothers and Daughters,Death of a Parent,Breakups and Divorces,Adoption
- Tone: Bittersweet,Humorous,Intimate,Poignant
- Keywords: biological-family [vs. adoptive],mid-life-crisis,mother,schoolteacher
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (04-25-2008)
- Language: English