Following up on her acclaimed debut, Clockwatchers, Jill Sprecher spins this intricate ensemble film about life's big questions. Set in New York City, the film focuses on five different characters with radically different perspectives on life. Gene (Alan Arkin) manages a large insurance company and is a compulsive pessimist, constantly bursting the bubbles of his more cheery colleagues. Walker (John Turturro), who holds a similarly bleak view of the world, decides that he cannot stand another day in his dull life as a physics professor and thus promptly dumps his wife, Patricia (Amy Irving). Troy (Matthew McConaughey) is an up-and-coming lawyer whose career is derailed after a hit-and-run accident. And Beatrice (Clea DuVall) is a modest cleaning woman hoping for a miracle. This film was screened at the 2001 Toronto Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 94min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/24/2002
- DVD Release Date: 11/19/2002
- Distributor(s): Sony
- Themes: Drug Addiction,Fathers and Sons,Office Politics,Intersecting Lives,Crisis of Faith,Redemption,Unlikely Friendships
- Tone: Compassionate,Downbeat,Literate,Somber,Talky,Deliberate,Melancholy
boss [employer], employer/employee, extramarital-affair, happiness, hit-and-run, lawyer, maid, office, pessimism, professor
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (05-24-2002)
- Language: English