Plot & Details
Paul Quinn scripted and made his directorial debut with this period drama about middle-aged schoolteacher Kieran Johnson (James Caan), who finds evidence indicating that his real father was an Irish farmer and not a French seaman as he had been told. Since his mute and paralyzed mother offers no answers, he investigates by traveling to an Irish village with his teenage nephew (Jacob Tierney). After this prologue, the film flashes back to the family roots: Kieran's mother Fiona Flynn (Moya Farrelly) back home from convent school, catches the eye of dirt tenant farmer Kieran O'Day (Aidan Quinn). Their romance gets underway despite disapprovals from family and friends. Shown at 1998 film fests (Montreal, Toronto).
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 120min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/07/1999
- DVD Release Date: 10/05/1999
- Distributor(s): Sony
- Director(s): Paul Quinn
- Starring: Aidan Quinn , James Caan , Stephen Rea , John Cusack , Moya Farrelly
- Themes: Fathers and Sons,Discovering One's Heritage,Class Differences,Star-Crossed Lovers
- Tone: Atmospheric,Heartwarming,Lyrical,Bittersweet,Gentle
- Keywords: Irish-American,heritage,nephew,teacher,village
- Country of Origin: USA (05-07-1999)
- Language: English