Plot & Details
A new '90s expressiveness regarding homosexuality in movies is gently mined for laughs in this 1993 comedy that predates the similar but much more raw Chasing Amy and slightly more humorous Threesome. With her straight greasy hair, semi-paranoid outlook, and leather jacket she wears like a shield, Connie (Kelly Lynch) already seems a bit unhinged. Then her girlfriend, Ellen (Sherilyn Fenn), breaks up their relationship and Connie loses it. In her grief, she hits upon a bizarre plan: Why not hire male prostitute Joe (William Baldwin) to seduce Ellen, then break her heart? Wouldn't that make Ellen rush back into Connie's arms? Of course not. For one thing, Joe's life is complicated by his protective yet sinister pimp (Joe Pantoliano) and a thug who mistakenly believes Joe set him up for a prison sentence. And Joe and Ellen fall in love. Yet an odd, sibling-like friendship develops between Joe and Connie that steers them through the repercussions of Ellen's discovery of their deceit, the thug's attack on Joe, and Joe's desire to give up prostitution. By the story's end, they've lost Ellen, but they have one another, and have learned to step beyond the protective relationships they have lost. Three of Hearts solidified William Baldwin's ascent to leading-man status (along with brothers Stephen and Alec) after 1991's Backdraft.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 102min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/13/1993
- DVD Release Date: 05/04/2004
- Director(s): Yurek Bogayevicz
- Starring: William Baldwin , Kelly Lynch , Sherilyn Fenn , Joe Pantoliano , Gail Strickland
- Themes: Prostitutes,Love Triangles
- Tone: Affectionate,Gentle,Light,Racy,Wry
- Keywords: battle-of-the-sexes,bisexuality,escort,gigolo,girlfriend,homosexual,lesbianism,love,love-triangle,prostitute/prostitution,romance,sex