Plot & Details
Millennium Mambo director Hou Hsiao-hsien explores the ever-changing cycle of love in this collection of three romantic stories set in 1911, 1966, and 2005 and utilizing the same actors in all three tales. In "A Time for Love," a fresh-faced soldier boy named Chen (Chang Chen) searches for a pool hall hostess named May (Shu Qi) who captured his heart before disappearing into the crowd. The second tale, set against the backdrop of the Japanese occupation of Taiwan and entitled "A Time for Freedom," finds an elegant courtesan tending to a young intellectual in a lavish brothel. The trilogy draws to a close with a segment entitled "A Time for Youth" in which a present-day Taipei singer who is also an epileptic neglects her female lover to seek the romantic attentions of a talented photographer.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama,Romance
- Run Time: 135min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/26/2006
- DVD Release Date: 09/26/2006
- Distributor(s): IFC
- Director(s): Hou Hsiao-Hsien
- Starring: Shu Qi , Chang Chen
- Themes: Class Differences,Life Under Occupation,Star-Crossed Lovers
- Tone: Atmospheric,Bittersweet,Melancholy,Poignant,Lyrical
- Keywords: Taiwan, love-affair, lover
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (04-26-2006)
- Language: Mandarin