Plot & Details
Thunder Bay was another inspired collaboration between star James Stewart and director Anthony Mann. Stewart plays an ex-GI named Steve, who has a hankering to drill for oil in the Gulf of Mexico. Together with his army buddy Gambi (Dan Duryea, in a rare good-guy role), Steve attains the financial backing of irascible oil-company chieftain Kermit MacDonald (Jay C. Flippen) and the two head southward. Before they can even place their drills in the clamps, Steve and Gambi run afoul of local shrimp fishermen who consider the presence of oil speculators as a threat to their livelihoods. Things get dicey when Steve falls in love with Stella (Joanne Dru), the daughter of combative fisherman Dominique Rigaud (Antonio Moreno). Mob mentality threatens to overcome common sense until a clever -- and mutually beneficial -- compromise between the drillers and the fishermen is reached.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Action,Drama
- Run Time: 82min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/15/2004
- Distributor(s): Universal
- Director(s): Anthony Mann
- Starring: James Stewart , Joanne Dru , Gilbert Roland , Dan Duryea , Jay C. Flippen
- Themes: Prospectors and Land Rights
- Tone: Earnest,Tense
- Keywords: army-buddy, compromise, financier, fisherman, oil-drilling, oil-man, oil-tycoon, romance, threat