Plot & Details
Diagnosed with terminal cancer and given only a short while to live, a successful fashion photographer embarks on one final journey in the second of three films in a trilogy about death and mourning from French director François Ozon (the first entry in the the trilogy was Under the Sand) . After passing out during a particularly grueling photo shoot, high profile shutterbug Romain (Melvil Poupaud) is shocked to discover that his body has been ravaged by a fully metastasized cancer that will soon kill him. Without revealing the cause for his erratic behavior, the shell shocked Romain commences to alienate his entire family and ditch his handsome young boyfriend before connecting with affable waitress Jany (Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi) at a roadside café while en route to his grandmother's house. Upon arriving at the home of the one family member he knows will be joining him shortly in death, Romain's naked vulnerability is met with a gentle ear and sound advice. Once again meeting with the kindly Jany on his way to his ultimate fate, Romain and the waitress strike up an unusual bargain.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 80min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/21/2006
- DVD Release Date: 09/19/2006
- Distributor(s): Strand
- Director(s): François Ozon
- Starring: Melvil Poupaud , Jeanne Moreau , Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi , Daniel Duval , Marie Rivière
- Themes: Keeping a Secret,Life in the Arts,Journey of Self-Discovery,Dying Young
- Tone: Deliberate,Intimate,Reflective,Talky,Understated
- Keywords: waiter/waitress, boyfriend, camera, cancer, diagnosis, grandmother, photographer, waiter
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (07-14-2006)
- Language: French