Plot & Details
Japanese filmmaker Satoshi Kon directs his third anime feature with the holiday film Tokyo Godfathers. The story takes place in Shinjuku, Tokyo, on Christmas Eve. Middle-aged has-been Gin, aging transvestite Hana, and teenage runaway Miyuki are three homeless friends who have formed a kind of makeshift family structure. Their bond is tested when they find an abandoned baby while searching for food in a garbage dump. They have no choice but to care for the infant themselves. The group travels throughout the city, searching for the baby's parents and coping with their personal reactions to the situation. Tokyo Godfathers premiered at the Big Apple Anime Fest in 2003.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 92min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/16/2004
- DVD Release Date: 04/13/2004
- Distributor(s): Samuel Goldwyn
- Director(s): Satoshi Kon
- Starring: Toru Emori , Yoshiaki Umegaki , Aya Okamoto
- Themes: Parenthood,Down on Their Luck,Eccentric Families
- Tone: Bittersweet,Irreverent,Poignant,Compassionate,Sentimental,Heartwarming
- Keywords: abandonment,baby,guardian,homeless,parent
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (01-16-2004)
- Language: English,Japanese