Plot & Details
Norman Mailer wrote and directed this demented film noir, which takes place in a Provincetown of perpetual twilight. Most of the tale, based on his best-selling novel, is told in flashback as Dougy Madden (Lawrence Tierney) pays a visit to his son Tim (Ryan O'Neal). Dougy, a tough ex-bartender, is ravaged by cancer and decides to see Tim one last time in order. But Tim is suffering both from writer's block and from the effects of too many years of drink, drugs, and sex. His sexy wife Patty Lariene (Debra Sandlund) has recently left him and disappeared. Even worse, one morning he awakens from his stupor to find the front seat of his car covered with blood and a severed head inside his drug stash. He tries to rekindle a relationship with his ex-wife Madeleine (Isabella Rossellini), now married to the psychotic Provincetown police chief, Alvin Luther Regency (Wings Hauser), and he re-acquaints himself with old prep school friend Wardley Meeks III (John Bedford Lloyd), who was also married to the missing Patty Lareine. As the murders pile up and Tim's psyche takes a beating, Dougy decides to help Tim put an end to this chaotic mess of murders.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 110min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/03/2002
- DVD Release Date: 09/16/2003
- Distributor(s): Cannon Group
- Director(s): Norman Mailer
- Starring: Ryan O'Neal , Isabella Rossellini , Debra Sandlund , Wings Hauser , John Bedford Lloyd
- Themes: Alcoholism,Amateur Sleuths,Amnesia,Fathers and Sons,Creative Block,Murder Investigations
- Tone: Atmospheric,Enigmatic,Gloomy,Menacing,Moody,Quirky,Nocturnal
- Keywords: alcoholism,amnesia,cancer,ex-convict,ex-wife,father,head [body part],murder,murder-suspect,police-chief,son,writer
- Country of Origin: USA (09-18-1987)
- Language: English