Plot & Details
Homer's sprawling tale of love and war in ancient Greece comes to the screen in all its grandeur in this epic-scale adventure. In 1193 B.C., Paris, Prince of Troy (Orlando Bloom), has fallen in love; however, the beautiful woman who has beguiled him is Helen, Queen of Sparta (Diane Kruger), who is wed to King Menelaus (Brendan Gleeson). While Helen is hardly immune to Paris' charms, this doesn't blunt Menelaus' fury when Paris steals her away from him. Menelaus' brother Agamemnon (Brian Cox), the power-hungry king of the Mycenaeans, is eager to expand his empire through Troy to the lands of the Aegean Sea, and he uses Paris' romantic slight against Menelaus as an excuse to wage an all-out war against the great walled city. Priam, King of Troy (Peter O'Toole), summons his armies, led by Prince Hector (Eric Bana), to meet the onslaught of Agamemnon's forces, but while the great city has yet to yield in a battle, Agamemnon has a formidable ally -- Achilles (Brad Pitt), a mighty and seemingly unstoppable warrior whose presence could tip the scales in Agamemnon's favor. Sean Bean, Julie Christie, Saffron Burrows, and Rose Byrne highlight the film's supporting cast.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Action,Drama,Epic and Historical,Romance,War
- Run Time: 165min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/14/2004
- DVD Release Date: 01/04/2005
- Distributor(s): Warner Bros.
- Director(s): Wolfgang Petersen
- Starring: Brad Pitt , Eric Bana , Orlando Bloom , Diane Kruger , Brian Cox
- Themes: Crowned Heads,Forbidden Love,Great Battles
- Tone: Atmospheric,Earnest,Visceral,Forceful,Rousing,Sweeping
- Keywords: Greece,Trojan [native of Troy],ancient-civilizations,battle [war],king,prince,war,warrior
- Country of Origin: USA (05-14-2004)
- Language: English