Plot & Details
Carole Lombard stars as Helen Bartlett, a compulsive liar who always tips the audience to an oncoming whopper by sticking her tongue in her cheek. Helen is married to a Kenneth Bartlett, a scrupulously honest lawyer whose integrity has always held him back professionally. Hoping to help Kenneth get ahead, Helen confesses to a murder she obviously didn't commit, confident that he'll get her off and make his reputation. But things don't go exactly as planned, thanks largely to a mysterious eccentric named Charley (John Barrymore), who assures the heroine over and over that she'll "fry." Once considered a prime example of screwball comedy, True Confession is now regarded by film buffs as one of Carole Lombard's worst pictures: it wasn't much better when remade by Betty Hutton in 1946 as Cross My Heart.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 85min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/08/2004
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): Wesley Ruggles
- Starring: Carole Lombard , Fred MacMurray , John Barrymore , Una Merkel , Porter Hall
- Keywords: client, husband, killing, truth, compulsion, confession [criminal], lies, murder