Plot & Details
Two couples demonstrate that breaking up can be just as hard as staying together in this romantic comedy drama. Rebecca (Julianne Moore) and Tom (David Duchovny) are a seemingly happy married couple living in New York City -- she's a successful actress, while he stays home with the kids. However, beneath the surface, things are not going well. Rebecca is no longer amused with her husband's appetite for porn and constant sexual demands, while he's seriously considering having an affair. Rebecca's brother Tobey, (Billy Crudup), is in a more openly dysfunctional relationship; he's been dating Elaine (Maggie Gyllenhaal) for seven years but has no interest in marriage, while she's desperate to settle down and start a family. Tobey and Elaine decide to call it quits, as Tobey hooks up with an old friend from college (Eva Mendes) who is looking to cheat on her husband, and Elaine starts dating a handsome musician (James LeGros) who may be in need of a green card. Meanwhile, Rebecca and Tom go into couples therapy, which creates as many problems as it solves. Trust the Man also features Ellen Barkin, Garry Shandling, and Bob Balaban.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama,Romance
- Run Time: 99min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/18/2006
- DVD Release Date: 02/06/2007
- Distributor(s): Fox Searchlight
- Director(s): Bart Freundlich
- Starring: Zypora Spaisman , David Duchovny , David Romeo , Julianne Moore , Felix Fibich
- Themes: Parenthood,Battle of the Sexes,Breakups and Divorces,Existential Crisis,Foibles of Marriage
- Tone: Intimate,Light,Quirky,Talky
- Keywords: break-up [romantic],husband-and-wife,love-choices,marriage-counselor,marriage-problems,on-the-rocks,therapist
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (08-18-2006)
- Language: English