Many unauthorized video titles have been released about the life of rap superstar Tupac Shakur. Tupac: Resurrection is the only one to be both executive produced by his mother, former Black Panther Afeni Shakur, and benefit from access to the MTV archives. The documentary is the feature-length debut for director Lauren Lazin, who has created several highly rated programs for both MTV and PBS. Using voice-overs, interviews, and other vocal tracks recorded by the late artist himself, the film explores his life, music, and death from fatal gunshot wounds in 1996. Includes rare footage, home movies, private photographs, and excerpts from his personal poetry, journals, and letters. During the making of the film, MTV reached out to his fan base by requesting submissions of Tupac memorabilia to be used in the film.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Foreign
- Run Time: 115min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/14/2003
- DVD Release Date: 06/15/2004
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Themes: Inner City Blues,Musician's Life
- Tone: Moody,Reflective,Sentimental,Bittersweet,Compassionate,Poignant,Elegiac
career, hip-hop-music, interview, murder, rap-music
- Country of Origin: USA (11-14-2003)
- Language: English