Plot & Details
When a powerful man is accused of murder, who tells the truth -- the man, or his estranged wife? Henry Hearst (Gene Hackman), an American attorney living in Puerto Rico, is called in to speak with police detective Victor Benezet (Morgan Freeman). A few days earlier, Hearst reported finding the body of a 12-year-old girl while taking his dog for a walk; however, investigators now believe that Hearst may have had a greater involvement in the crime than he's admitting. Under intense questioning by a confident young cop named Owens (Thomas Jane) and gentler but firm interrogation from Benezet, several cracks begin to appear in Hearst's story, but he's able to persuade the police to allow him to leave long enough to take part in a fund-raising function he'd promised to attend. However, upon his return, Hearst discovers that Benezet and Owens have been questioning someone else -- his wife Chantal (Monica Bellucci), who has been on poor terms with her husband for some time. Under Suspicion was based on the novel Brainwash by John Wainwright, which was previously filmed by French director Claude Miller as Garde a vue.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Action,Drama
- Run Time: 110min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/22/2000
- DVD Release Date: 01/02/2001
- Distributor(s): Lions Gate Films
- Director(s): Stephen Hopkins
- Starring: Morgan Freeman , Gene Hackman , Thomas Jane , Monica Bellucci
- Themes: Mind Games,Murder Investigations
- Tone: Confrontational,Ominous,Talky,Claustrophobic,Tense
- Keywords: interrogator,murder,murder-suspect,police-investigation,questioning [police interrogation],rape
- Language: English