Plot & Details
Canadian documentary filmmaker Stephen Low directs the IMAX movie Volcanoes of the Deep Sea, with Titanic director James Cameron as the executive producer. During its brief 40-minute running time, the film starts out with a 1977 expedition to find life at the bottom of the sea. At depths as low as 10,000 feet, the discovery proved the existence of underwater volcanoes and the plant life they help sustain. Using the deep-sea diving vehicle known as Alvin, the filmmakers capture large-format film footage of some of these underwater ecosystems along with some helpful CGI reconstructions. Ed Harris delivers the narration.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Documentary,Special Interest
- Run Time: 41min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/17/2003
- DVD Release Date: 05/24/2005
- Distributor(s): IMAX Corporation
- Director(s): Stephen Low, Ryan Mullins
- Starring: Ed Harris
- Keywords: deep-sea,diving,ecosystem,plants [botany],underwater-expedition,volcano
- Language: English