Plot & Details
Country singer Dwight Yoakam is a co-producer of this Miramax comedy about marital infidelity among the Southern redneck set. Auto dealer Lonnie Earl (Billy Bob Thornton) and his wife, Darlene (Natasha Richardson), are best friends with good-natured Roy (Patrick Swayze) and his spitfire wife, Candy (Charlize Theron), who's ovulating and trying to become pregnant. When the quartet of Arkansas natives decides to take an SUV cross-country to a monster truck show in Reno, NV, an alarming secret is revealed: Lonnie Earl and Candy have been having an affair. The revelation comes as a shock to the guileless Roy and much put-upon Darlene, who absconds with her husband's credit cards for a spending spree that includes designer boutiques and a Tony Orlando concert. Meanwhile, Candy's quest to have a baby takes on a new dimension in light of her extracurricular activities with Lonnie Earl. Waking Up in Reno (2002) is based on a script by longtime screenwriting partners/actors Brent Briscoe and Mark Fauser, who also play supporting roles in the film.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 91min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/25/2002
- DVD Release Date: 04/08/2003
- Distributor(s): Miramax
- Director(s): Jordan Brady, Jonathan Brady
- Starring: Billy Bob Thornton , Charlize Theron , Patrick Swayze , Natasha Richardson , Holmes Osborne
- Themes: Nothing Goes Right,Crumbling Marriages,Infidelity,Faltering Friendships
- Tone: Drab,Irreverent,Sexual,Easygoing
- Keywords: car-dealer,extramarital-affair,husband-and-wife,marriage-problems,monster-truck,pregnancy,redneck,road-trip
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (10-25-2002)
- Language: English