Writer/director Kim Nguyen highlights the tragic plight of child soldiers in sub-Saharan Africa with this tale of a pregnant 14-year-old girl who recalls being forced to kill her own parents and join the rebel army. Komona (Rachel Mwanza) is just 12 when the rebels ransack her village and order her to slay her parents. Subsequently taken to their camp and given an AK-47, Komona is beaten mercilessly by the rebel leader for showing weakness, but she later becomes the supreme leader's war witch after emerging as the sole survivor in a bloody battle against the government army. Amidst all of this darkness, the one light in Komona's life is Magician (Serge Kanyinda), a 15-year-old boy who shows her compassion in a world of cruelty. For a brief moment, it appears as if Komona and Magician have escaped the war, but their greatest battle has yet to be fought. Later, pregnant and haunted by the ghosts of her parents, Komona embarks on a trip back to her birthplace to make amends with her past and ensure that her unborn child has a chance to live a life free from the sins of the mother.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama,Foreign
- Run Time: 90min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/01/2013
- DVD Release Date: 10/16/2012
- Distributor(s): Films Distribution, M?tropole Films Distribution, Métropole Films Distribution, Tribeca Film (USA)
- Themes: Haunted By the Past,Women During Wartime
- Tone: Earnest,Forceful,Sweeping
Africa, Sahara, battle [war], child-soldier, rebel
- Country of Origin: Canada - Limited (04-20-2012),USA - Limited (03-01-2013)
- Language: French,Lingala