Plot & Details
In this film, based on a true story, convicted criminal Lee Umstetter (Nick Nolte) is sentenced to life in San Quentin prison, with no possibility of parole. Despairing at his interminable sentence, Lee spends his time reading and educating himself. When he writes and performs a play that attracts the notice of a film critic (Rita Taggart), she sets out on a quest to have him paroled.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 115min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/16/1987
- Distributor(s): De Laurentiis Entertainment Group
- Director(s): John Hancock
- Starring: Nick Nolte , Lane Smith , William Forsythe , Joe Mantegna
- Themes: Writer's Life,Prison Life
- Keywords: inmate, play [recreation], riot [uprising], show, achievement, critic, prison
- Country of Origin: USA (10-16-1987)
|Year||Award||Category||Cast & Crew||Result|
|2006||Hollywood Foreign Press Association||Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television||Elizabeth Perkins||Nominated|
|2007||Hollywood Foreign Press Association||Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy||Mary-Louise Parker||Nominated|