What's Love Got to Do With It? is the filmed biography of R&B/pop singer Tina Turner (Angela Bassett), documenting her efforts to break away from her abusive husband Ike (Laurence Fishburne). After a few scenes detailing Tina's life as a young singer in Nutbush, TN, she's discovered by Ike Turner, an already established songwriter, guitarist, and record producer. Ike takes Tina under his wing and makes her a star, but her fame makes him jealous and abusive, and she has to struggle to break free of his domination.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 118min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/09/1993
- DVD Release Date: 08/24/1999
- Distributor(s): Touchstone
Vanessa Bell Calloway
- Themes: Ladder to the Top,Starting Over,Crumbling Marriages,Success is the Best Revenge,Domestic Abuse
- Tone: Cathartic,Earnest,Forceful,Gritty,Intimate,Poignant
marriage-problems, abuse, divorce, domestic-violence, fame, marital-problems, musician, rock-star, singer
- Language: English