Plot & Details
A dramatic treatment of a family torn apart by alcoholism and recovering from it, this was a star vehicle for popular actress Meg Ryan, who plays Alice Green, a school counselor who has a serious drinking problem. Her husband is Michael (Andy Garcia), an airline pilot. Though she's lighthearted and loving, Alice is often reckless and, when drunk, even neglects her children, nine-year-old daughter Jess (Tina Majorino) from a previous marriage, and four-year-old daughter Casey (Mae Whitman), whose father is Michael. After an accident, Alice realizes that she has "hit bottom" and goes into a clinic for rehab. When she returns home, she has kicked her addiction and has become independent and strong, and her perfectionist, controlling husband has trouble adjusting. Michael is used to his wife being weak and helpless, and they end up seeing a marriage counselor to recover from Michael's "co-dependency" on Alice's role as an alcoholic.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 124min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/15/1994
- DVD Release Date: 02/15/2000
- Director(s): Luis Mandoki
- Starring: Andy Garcia , Meg Ryan , Lauren Tom , Philip Seymour Hoffman , Tina Majorino
- Themes: Alcoholism,Crumbling Marriages,Families in Crisis
- Tone: Sentimental,Melancholy,Poignant,Reflective,Earnest
- Keywords: alcoholism,family,family-responsibilities,husband,love,marriage,readjustment,recovery [health],rehabilitation [detox],wife,woman
- Language: English