Plot & Details
Why are there so many Jewish comedians? 'When Comedy Went to School' answers this question with an entertaining portrait of this country's greatest generation of comics - the generation that includes the likes of Jerry Lewis, Sid Caesar, Jackie Mason, Mort Sahl, and Jerry Stiller, all of whom make appearances in the film, telling jokes and telling their stories. The answer is also found in upstate New York's Catskill Mountains, aka the Borscht Belt, where Jewish immigrants transformed lush farmland into the 20th century's largest resort complex. Those Catskill hotels and bungalow colonies provided the setting for a remarkable group of young comedians to hone their craft and become worldwide legends. It was truly 'When Comedy Went to School'.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Documentary,Special Interest
- Run Time: 76min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/31/2013
- Status: In Theaters
- Distributor(s): International Film Circuit
- Director(s): Mevlut Akkaya, Ron Frank
- Starring: Sid Caesar , Mickey Freeman , Dick Gregory , Larry King , Robert Klein
- Themes: Life in the Arts
- Tone: Literate,Witty,Wry
- Keywords: Jewish, comedian, generation, immigrant, legacy, retrospective
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (07-31-2013)
- Language: English