Plot & Details
Werner Herzog once again turns his eye on the beautiful and dangerous wilds of the Amazon in this documentary. Dr. Graham Dorrington is a scientist who specializes in designing experimental aircraft, and in 1992 he invented a unique man-powered airship intended to travel into the Amazon canopy of Guyana, with the goal studying the medicinal herbs said to grow there. However, Dorrington's aircraft proved to be flawed, and an accident on its first voyage into the Amazon claimed the life of Dieter Plage, a filmmaker and close friend of Dorrington who had tagged along to document the journey. Ten years later, Herzog joined Dorrington as he returned to the Amazon canopy and explored the beautiful but forbidding rivers and forests, visited the people who live there, and recalled the accident that claimed his friend's life. The White Diamond was the opening night attraction at the 2004 Taiwan Documentary Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Documentary,Special Interest
- Run Time: 90min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/27/2005
- DVD Release Date: 10/25/2005
- Director(s): Werner Herzog
- Themes: Filmmaking
- Tone: Deliberate,Elegiac,Reflective,Sweeping,Stirring,Earthy
- Keywords: Amazon, Guyana, accidental-death, dirigible, expedition, filmmaker, homage, rainforest, scientist, wildlife
- Country of Origin: Germany (11-04-2004),USA - Limited (06-01-2005)