Plot & Details
'Who Do You Love' tells the story of Leonard Chess, a Polish immigrant living in Chicago, who becomes enamored with the new blues sound emanating from the city in the mid-1940s. Chess and his brother Phil open a club called Macomba and gamble on producing "race records" with the help of bass player and songwriter Willie Dixon. After initial failure, they find tremendous success with the iconic bluesman Muddy Waters, and on the strength of his popularity, started Chess Records. Chess Records quickly grew into an influential label, launching the careers of Waters, Bo Diddley, Etta James, Chuck Berry, among others, and introducing the Blues to American audiences on a broader scale. 'Who Do You Love' tracks the growth of Chess Records, but more importantly, presents a poignant look into the strains the label placed on Leonard Chess' family, namely his wife Revetta and his son Marshall.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 92min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/09/2010
- Distributor(s): International Film Circuit
- Director(s): Jerry Zaks
- Starring: Alessandro Nivola , Jon Abrahams , David Oyelowo , Chi McBride
- Themes: Immigrant Life,Underdogs,Musician's Life
- Tone: Inspiring
- Keywords: Black [race], blues-music, immigrant, innovation, music-producer, nightclub, record-company, record-producer, recording-studio
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (04-09-2010)
- Language: English