Plot & Details
Set in the Deep South during the postwar era, Wise Blood stars Brad Dourif as an aimless veteran, who decides to become a Bible-thumping preacher (for a questionable concern called "The Church Wihout Christ") principally because he hasn't anything better lined up. Dourif links up with a veteran of the hellfire-and-brimstone circuit, who for business purposes pretends to be blind. The older man persuades Dourif to blind himself for real so that he can truly "see the light" (yes, the movie is that weird). Director Huston, himself, appears as Dourif's grandfather. Adapted from the one-of-a-kind novel by Flannery O'Connor, Wise Blood was a noble experiment but a box-office failure-though, to be fair, Huston never set out to make a blockbuster from O'Connor's offbeat tale.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 106min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/05/1997
- DVD Release Date: 05/12/2009
- Director(s): John Huston
- Starring: Brad Dourif , Ned Beatty , Harry Dean Stanton , Dan Shor , Amy Wright
- Themes: Religious Zealotry,Cons and Scams,Southern Gothic
- Tone: Cathartic,Poignant,Satirical,Atmospheric,Downbeat,Quirky,Visceral
- Keywords: bishop, blindness [physical], deception, prison, con/scam, evangelism, exploitation, religion, veteran [military], war
- Language: English